The knives are among the most important kitchen utensils to be used frequently. On that note, it is important that you choose your kitchen well. There are a number of considerations when buying your kitchen cutlery based on the purpose. It is important that the knife you choose will last a lifetime that you never have to replace it again. On that note, here are some important tips and advice for you to properly choose the right kitchen knife.
Buy Knives in Set
The general rule is to buy the most expensive set that you can approve as they are generally superior quality. While it say the most expensive you can buy, purchasing a set is normally more affordable when you buy knives singly. A set of kitchen knives is a great choice because they include all the basic tools plus with a container for storing your knives. Among accessories, don’t forget to look for the absolute best kitchen knife sharpener.
Or Buy Knives Separately
Once you have already bought your kitchen knives set, you can purchase additional and more specific knives to add to your set. Most manufacturers sell knives separately so that you can add it to your collection in the future. In most situations, purchasing a set is much more applicable and unless you need to replace a lose knife in your set it is ideal to buy them separately.
Different Types of Knives
When choosing the best knife for your kitchen, it all depends on what purpose are those knives for. That being the case, it is ideal to learn of the different types of knives so you can choose which works for you best. Here are the five different types of knives you can choose from:
- Serrated Edge – for cutting soft products such as bread, tomatoes and sausages which have soft crust or skin.
- Straight Edge – for cutting chopping vegetables, slicing salmon and raw meat as it can cut precise, clean cuts.
- Cleaver or Meat Cleaver – large, a broad fixed blade that is best for chopping thick meat chunks, sinews and bones especially when the chopping force is the focus and not the precision of the cut.
- Chef’s Knife – developed for cutting cattle carcasses through the bone, the chef’s knife can be used for just about anything.
- Fillet Knife – from prep to garnishing, fillet knifes are ideal to serve to your guests.
- Paring Knife – this is used for the delicate work of precise cutting of fruits and vegetables including peeling, slicing, de-seeding, de-veining and more.
Fine Edge, High Carbon Stainless Steel Knife
Among the classic knives and the many other kinds of knives, it is the fine edge is the most commonly used because of their weight and feel. That makes them the best choice for most serious cooks and chefs but they mostly need sharpening. For homeowners who use their knives on a daily basis, you need a knife that you never have to sharpen.
This kind of knife, however, does not have the same precision as fine edge knives. Still, they can retain they sharpness for a time. When choosing the best knife, aside for the purpose you need to consider the type of steel used. The most ideal for all purposes is the knife made from a blend of high carbon and stainless steel so that it can fight corrosion and rust.